Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meet Joe!





I have two very special "Joes" in my life. One is my cousin's beautiful baby Joe. This kid could rule the world with his smile. When you have two awesome parents you're bound to be amazing, right? The second Joe in my life is located at the Pulitzer Foundation located in the theater district in Saint Louis.

Joe is a large sculpture created by artist Richard Serra. It was commissioned by Mrs. Pulitzer as a way to honor her late husband Mr. Joseph Pulitzer. Her office window overlooks the sculpture in the courtyard.


Joe also has the honor of being the place I said yes to becoming Mrs. Shane Thompson. That is right folks this is where my husband proposed. I'm proud to say we were the first couple to become engaged in the sculpture. There have been a few others since so needless to say Joe is a romantic place to be.

The sculpture is made from several large steel plates/walls that have been connected together to form a large torqued spiral. You walk through it like a snailshell shaped maze and end up in a center courtyard that blocks out all of the city noise. It is an amazing place to be. It was an honor to become engaged within its walls.

The husband and I try to visit the sculpture when we can but we are always running here and there. For my birthday Shane wanted to take me there for a visit so we took time and made the pilgrimage There was Joe just as he always is a reminder of strength, beauty, and most of all love.

Of course as always a photo shoot must happen. Thank the heavens we don't have kids because we would have more photos of Joe than them. His walls are starting to age and like Paul Newman or Steve McQueen he is only getting better. We took several detail photos of this beautiful new patina.


We have quite the photo series from this last trip and I can't wait to get them framed and installed in our master suite. I can think of no better way to wake up everyday than with images of Mr. Joe.

Once I get the photos framed and installed I'll be able to do a more thorough post on the master suite and share its' details. If you have never been to the Pulitzer Foundation or have not been in awhile I highly recommend it. There are two art installations right now that I thoroughly enjoyed and while you are there don't forget to visit Joe!

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment